$10 Meals Chicken Burrito
Approx 4 – 6 Portions
1 x Medium white onion ($0.47)
1 x Garlic Bulb ($0.50)
1 x Can black beans (425g/10oz) ($1.00)
200g/7oz x Hatch Green Chili ($1.50)
1 x Large Chicken Breast ($1.75)
200g/7oz x Brown rice ($0.30)
100g/3.5oz x Part skimmed mozzarella ($1.00)
1 x Large Avocado ($1.50)
1 x Lime ($0.40)
Total $8.42 (Baring in mind not including basic committees e.g. Flour, sugar, spices ect)
1 x Large Chicken Breast
1 tbsp x Oil (Your choice)
1 x Garlic clove (Peeled) (Grated if your roasting the chicken breast)
Spicy Hatch Green Chili Beans
1 x Medium white onion (Peeled & Diced)
3 x Garlic Cloves (Peeled & Grated)
1 tsp x Dried thyme
1 x Can black beans (425g/10oz)
200g/7oz x Mild hatch green chili (No seeds)
2 tsp x Paprika
1/2 tsp x Ground cumin
300g/10.5oz x Plain/All purpose flour
20ml/0.3floz x Vegetable/Canola oil
2 Pinches x Natural sea salt
Water (Enough to bind the dough)
1 x Large Avocado (Ripe)
1/2 x Lime juice
2 x Pinches natural sea salt
200g/7oz x Brown rice
650ml/21.9floz x Water
2 Pinches x Natural sea salt
1) Marinade the chicken breast with the oil and the grated garlic if you are not using the sous vide. Cover in the fridge and allow to marinade for an hour or two. If using sous vide add the garlic, chicken and the oil to the bag. Seal the bag and place in the fridge while preheating the water bath to 65c/149f.
2) Place a medium size pan onto a medium heat with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once hot add the diced onions, thyme and grated garlic. Cook down for a few minutes until soft. Add the can of beans followed by the hatch green chili. Add the spices and cook out for 5 minutes. Add 200ml/6.7floz water and turn down to a low heat. Cook out for an hour and top up with water if it starts to dry up. Taste and season with natural sea salt when ready.
3) For the tortillas place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Slowly add water little by little until the dough forms together. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until smooth. Cut the dough into 5 equal portions and dust the work surface lightly with flour. Carefully roll each dough out into thin cylinders, so they can fit the frying pan. Place a large frying pan onto a medium heat and once hot place each tortilla into the pan to cook for 30- 40 seconds each side. Once each tortilla is cooked place them between two pieces of foil stacking them up on top of each other. This will help hold the moisture in and stop them from drying out.
4) Place the rice, salt and water into a large pan that has a lid. Place onto a high heat and once it comes up to a simmer turn the heat down. Cook the rice down for 25 minutes and once cooked take off the heat. Once off the heat do not remove the lid and allow it to steam for a further 15 minutes.
5) If you’re using the sous vide drop the chicken into the water bath once it is up to temperature and cook for 1 hour. If you’re using the oven pre heat the oven to 180c/350f. Place a frying pan onto a high heat with a tablespoon of oil. Season the chicken breast with natural sea salt and place the chicken down onto the pan once hot. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes to gain colour. Take out of the pan and place into a oven tray. Place into the oven to cook for 25-30 minutes.
6) Place the avocado and the lime juice into a mixing bowl. Crush the avocado down with a fork until smooth. Taste and season with natural sea salt.
7) Once the chicken is ready allow to rest for 5 minutes then slice into tiny slivers. Grab one of the tortillas and start assembling carefully folding in the sides then rolling it tight.
Check out the highlights of the dish below for more guidance on Youtube! Made live on twitch CHEFJOHNREED – Twitch